Tuesday 19 March 2013

Day Dreaming About Bedtime

The only thing I knew I for sure wanted for the direction of our bedroom was that it had to be visually uncluttered. With the busyness of life and all the toys and random stuff that comes with kids, I want a place of visual calm to go to at the end of the day.

After pouring over pinned images of bedrooms that I love I narrowed it down to my two favorites (neither of which are as visually calming as I had in mind for our room)...

Guest Bedroom by Emily Henderson


Master Bedroom by Emma Reddington
 They both have quite different vibes. The guest room designed by Emily Henderson is preppier, more tailored, and to me has a younger feel. Emma Reddington's master bedroom (the designer behind The Marion House Book) is more casual and rustic and travelled. I love both a million times over but how, with such completely different feels-and neither of the them being the more minimal look I'm after- does that help me figure out the direction I want to go in my room? Well,  for all their differences they do have a number of shared qualities. Neither space is matchy matchy, they both mix many different textiles, colors and patterns. Both have a heavy dose of inky blues and both rooms are light and airy with the exception of the bedding. This last point was probably the most important for me to realize because I have always LOVED white bedding. I have had white bedding for at least the last 15 years. Nothing feels as clean and fresh, and just makes me want to fall into it, than a bed with fluffy clean white bedding bathed in sunlight. However now with three kids I spend very little daylight hours in my room. A cozy bed layered with moodier colors in a mixture of textures and pattern now makes so much sense to me.  Against a white/cream/light grey backdrop I think the room will still have the calming quality I'm after while the bed will be a cozy corner to crawl into at the end of the day.
This is what's on my radar right now.
1. Ikea BJORNLOKA LINJE Curtains- 2. West Elm Linen Cotton Duvet Cover- 3. Dell Shop Etsy vintage textile-
4. West Elm Organic Lattice Sheet Set- 5. Pottery Barn Valencia Tall Dresser- 6. Jessica Rae Sommer Portrait-
7. CB2 Satellite Pendant Lamp

1. The curtains are a sure thing. I bought them on an Ikea run this weekend. It's hard to tell from this picture but they have thin black stitched stripes running vertically down the otherwise white cotton panel. They are light and airy and won't compete with the dark bedding but because of the black stitching will still tie in.

2. The grey west elm duvet cover will be on my bed hopefully by the end of next month. It's back ordered right now but I ordered it this weekend while they were having a 30% off sale. It's a linen cotton blend so it will be soft and slubby and hopefully give my bed the causal laid back vibe I'm after. Everything else is still up in the air.

3. The blue vintage textile is an Etsy find that I think would make some great accent pillows. There are so many gorgeous vintage pieces on etsy. I also really love the colors in this one...

The Little Grass Hut Etsy shop
...but it looks like it has dead fish on it and dead fish on my bed somehow doesn't scream "come cuddle" - but maybe that's just  me?

4. These sheets are still a maybe. I love the way the golden yellow will look with the charcoal grey duvet and inky blue pillows and I like the subtle pattern. I've spent enough money on this room for this month though so we'll see if I still want them after my bank account has had some time to breathe.

5. The dresser in the picture is purely for inspiration. Trent and I are keeping our eyes out on Kijiji for a tall wood dresser that is either already a nice warm wood tone- to complement the leather bench- or can be refinished in one. We want something tall to help replace some of the drawers lost after switching from two dressers to one.
6. The portrait is by super talented artist Jessica Rae Sommer, and I love her work! This piece is a favorite. I think it would fit in nicely with a couple other black and white photos and maybe a more masculine art piece for Trent, over the dresser. Trent thinks a picture of a stranger drinking wine in our bedroom is weird. I'm pretending she's drinking coke because that's my favorite after a long day (yup, I'm super classy/healthy like that). As for the stranger danger thing I think he just needs to get over it. Besides, she's looking down so it's not like we'll see her staring at us while we're changing or during other private moments.

7. I'm also hoping to DIY something similar to the CB2 light fixture. I Think it will be a great sculptural piece to balance all the layers of fabric in the room.

As for a headboard I want something comfortable to lean against so something upholstered will happen somewhere down the line. Both Trent and I love this one...


simplyseductive.blogspot.ca 

We're thinking we will try to DIY a simpler version of this, not as tall and less tufting with no wrap around but something similar to this color. Our room still has a long way to go and will evolve over the course of the next few months but I'll keep you posted as things happen along the way.



P.S. I always love to hear from you! What's your opinion on "strangers" in the bedroom? If you could add/replace one thing in your room what would it be?

1 comment:

  1. I love your bedrooms! So far we have a blank slate too. I have friends who picked this up recently. It looks like your inspiration :)
    http://metroelement.net/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=25_68&products_id=3632

    Have fun! So fun to run into you at c&b

    ReplyDelete