Monday 18 February 2013

Operation Little Man: A Man With A Plan

This is my little man...


Ferris, will be four in March.

And since this amazing surprise (little Lena) made her way into our lives 2 years ago...


Ferris has been sharing a room with his big sister Tayah (age 6).

All photos by beautiful friend and talented photographer Kristy-Anne Swart


As great of friends as these two are we always planned that once Lena turned two we would move her out of the crib and into the shared room. Ferris would get his own room- a room free of pink and flowers- and not only that he would get the bigger bed so his room could also double as the guest room when we had company.

A couple of months ago with his little sister's birthday quickly approaching I asked my little man what he wanted his room to look like. I braced myself as Ferris is probably my most design oriented child- he asks to go to show homes for fun and he's very purposeful when placing throw pillows back on the couch. I knew he would have some definite ideas about his space. Surprisingly his only request was color related. "A green and blue room, the walls dark blue. There can be a little orange and yellow too, but NO red." ummm ok...I could work with that although the strong opposition to red caught me off guard. Up until that point there had been no mentioned aversion to it.

After a little fooling around on olioboard- trying to strike a balance between a room he would love right now, a room he could grow with and a room that wouldn't feel like a theme park when guests slept there- I came up with this...












It got the thumbs up from Ferris! This was the first space I ever started with a mood board and I have to say I loved it! It was so nice to have a strong vision for the space before I started shopping and making over some things we already had. Check back tomorrow for some info on how I brought my vision to life on the cheap.

No comments:

Post a Comment